Boise Police Department
News Release

William L. Bones
Chief of Police

Contact: BPD Media Relations Office


Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Prosecutors Clear Officer, Deputies Involved in March Shooting

Boise Police Deputy Chief William Bones response:

 “This situation was dangerous for all involved, officers, the suspect, his family and the public. Officers from different agencies, working together, were able to stop the suspect before he could make good on his threat to hurt others.

We appreciate the work of all involved, from the officers and deputies on scene that night, to the CITF investigators who methodically pieced together what happened, to the Twin Falls Prosecutor for the careful review of officer’s actions.

Assuring citizens that our officers act within the law while protecting themselves and others is crucial to not only an effective police department but to maintaining the safety of our community.”

See, who sustained eight gunshot wounds, has been receiving inpatient medical and mental health care at facilities in Idaho and Utah since the March 9 incident. 

See has not been arrested but does have a pending charge of felony aggravated assault filed in connection with the case.


Prosecutor Clears officers in March 9, 2013, Ada County Shooting

 September 18, 2013

             Twin Falls County Prosecuting Attorney Grant Loebs announced today that he will not file criminal charges in the March 9, 2013, incident near Swan Falls Dam in which Peter C. See was shot by Ada County Sheriff’s Deputies and a Boise Police Officer.  Loebs investigated the matter in conjunction with the Ada County Critical Incident Task Force and its lead agency, the Meridian Police Department.  The Twin Falls County Prosecuting Attorney became involved through an agreement between the Twin Falls and Ada County Prosecuting Attorney’s Offices.

         “I have carefully analyzed the report prepared by the Critical Incident Task Force and have concluded that criminal charges are not appropriate in this case,” Loebs said.

         In a press release, Loebs recounted a summary of the incident:

“In the early morning hours of March 9, 2013, Ada County Sheriff’s Deputies and Boise Police Officers responded to call from a friend of Mr. See in which she said See intended to commit suicide.  Law enforcement learned that See had obtained a handgun, was threatening members of his family and the public and was intent on killing himself.  The situation escalated as See threatened that officers who approached him were in for a ‘blood bath.’ At 2:58 a.m., See confronted officers on S. Cloverdale Road with a .44 Magnum handgun.  As officers attempted to negotiate with Mr. See, he fled in his pick-up.  After a high speed chase, See’s vehicle was disabled, whereupon Mr. See emerged from his truck, still armed with the .44 caliber pistol.  When he pointed the gun at officers, several law enforcement officers opened fire hitting Mr. See several times.”

“Mr. See was shot and wounded after threatening civilians and officers with a handgun, leading police in a high-speed chase, and, ultimately, drawing his gun on numerous law enforcement officers,” Loebs said. “The officers acted within the bounds of the law and in self-defense and in defense of the community.”

         Loebs issued the following findings in support of his decision to decline prosecution of any of the law enforcement officers involved:

–Ada County Sheriff’s Deputies and Boise Police Officers responded to a

report of a possible suicide;

         –Mr. See assaulted a family member and procured a .44 magnum pistol;

         –Mr. See threatened a “blood bath” if officers approached him;

         –Officers observed Mr. See with a .44 caliber handgun;

         –Officers attempted to negotiate Mr. See’s peaceful surrender;

         –Mr. See led law enforcement on a high-speed chase;

         –After his vehicle was disabled, Mr. See brandished his weapon, aiming it at

surrounding law enforcement officers;

         –Law enforcement officers responded by firing upon Mr. See;

         –Mr. See was struck multiple times and incapacitated;

         –Mr. See was flown to the University of Utah Hospital where he was treated

for his injuries;

         –After he was taken into custody, officers recovered Mr. See’s

weapon and found it to be a fully loaded .44 magnum revolver with the hammer cocked and ready to fire.

          “Based on these findings,” Loebs said, “I conclude that Ada County Sheriff’s Deputies and Boise Police officers acted justifiably in self-defense and in defense of others when they shot Mr. See.” 

         “I want to thank the Critical Incident Task Force for preparing a thorough and detailed report,” Loebs said.  “It is essential to the public’s confidence in law enforcement that these matters are handled in a comprehensive and unbiased manner.  I believe that was done in this case.”