Boise Police Department
News Release

William L. Bones
Chief of Police

Contact: BPD Media Relations Office


Saturday, March 30, 2013

Man Arrested after 2 1/2 hour Standoff

Boise, March 30, 2013, 8:40 pm - Boise Police have just booked a man into jail on grand theft, among other charges, after he was spotted by an officer driving a stolen vehicle then holed himself up in a convenience store on the Boise Bench for 2 1/2 hours.  

Arrested: Anthony R. Schmidt, 25, Boise

Charged: Grand theft (F), Resisting and obstructing officers (m), an agents warrant and a contempt of court warrant. 

What Happened: A Boise Police officer on patrol this afternoon at 3:32 saw a man driving what the officer recognized was a stolen vehicle, a 1997 Oldsmobile sedan. The driver pulled into the parking lot of a convenience store at Nez Perce and S. Roosevelt Streets. The 25 year old suspect ignored the officers command to stop and kept walking into the store.  

Officers were familiar with the suspect and aware he has a violent criminal history that includes drug and weapons violations. For the safety of customers and store employees, officers immediately evacuated the store while the suspect continued to refuse to come out despite numerous commands. 

Again, because of the violent history of the suspect and a possible barricade situation inside the store, the decision was made to call out the BPD SOU ( Special Operations Unit/SWAT) team.  Upon the arrival of SOU officers, and after continued attempts to talk the suspect into surrendering, officers deployed OC spray ( commonly known as pepper spray).  A short time later the suspect did surrender.  The suspect was located in the bathroom of the convenience store and was arrested on an outstanding warrant at 6:15 p.m.

For safety, officers rerouted traffic away from the immediate area for approximately 2 ½ hours. Traffic was rerouted from S. Roosevelt St and W. Overland Rd., Nez Perce and Cleveland Streets, and S. Roosevelt Street north of Nez Perce. Officers appreciate the cooperation of residents and motorists in the are while the operation to arrest the suspect was ongoing.