Boise Police Department
News Release

William L. Bones
Chief of Police

Contact: BPD Media Relations Office


Wednesday, April 08, 2009

04-08-09 Officers use Tear Gas, Spike Strips & Pit Maneuver to End Interstate Stand Off

04-08-09 Officers use Tear Gas, Spike Strips & Pit Maneuver to End Interstate Stand Off

    Boise, April 8, 2009, 2:40 a.m. - Boise Police used tear gas, spike strips, and the PIT maneuver to end a 6 hour stand off on Interstate 84.

    "Our goal was to end this peacefully," said Lt. Dave Adams of the Boise Police Department Patrol Division. "We had officers doing their best to  talk him into surrendering, all the while coming up with a 'plan B', that if talks failed and the suspect forced our hand, what tools and opportunities could we take advantage of to still end this safely. Fortunately those tools and training paid off and this ordeal ended without injury to officers, the public, or the suspect."   

    Arrested: Jarrod L. Devaney, 31, Meridian

    Charges: Eluding Police (F), Aggravated Assault (F), Resisting and Obstructing Officers (m), Grand Theft (F - outstanding warrant)

    What Happened: Approx 5:20 p.m. Tuesday, April 7th, Boise Police located a suspect wanted on an outstanding arrest warrant for felony grand theft. The suspect is accused of stealing items, including firearms from family members. 

    Officers recognized the suspect, Devaney, as he was driving near Broadway and Linden Streets in east Boise. When officers went to stop Devaney in his vehicle, he did not stop, but instead accelerated south on Broadway, then onto eastbound Interstate 84.

    When Devaney saw officers behind him on Broadway Ave., officers say they saw Devaney wave what appeared to be a black handgun inside his SUV. Fearing for public safety and believing Devaney was armed, officers continued to pursue Devaney. 

    Pursuit: Boise Police followed the suspect eastbound on I-84 with assistance from officers with Idaho State Police, the Ada and Elmore County Sheriff's Offices, and Mountain Home Police. On the interstate, the suspect reached speeds between 90 and 100 mph. 

    According to Boise Police dispatchers, the suspect called police dispatch several times during the pursuit, threatening to use the weapon to hurt himself or officers. 

    Finally, just east of Mountain Home in Elmore County, Devaney pulled over. 

    Traffic Impact - Negotiations: For the safety of motorists, because Devaney was threatening violence and believed to be armed, Interstate 84 was shut down east and westbound for approx. 6 hours while officers talked to Devaney via cell phone, encouraging Devaney to surrender peacefully.

    Highway crews diverted traffic safely through Mountain Home. Boise Police want to thank motorists for their patience during this long incident.

    Incident Conclusion: After 6 hours of negotiations, officers say it appeared talks were failing, and the suspect was again making statements threatening to hurt himself or officers.

    Boise Police Incident Commanders made the decision to deploy tear gas into the suspects vehicle, a Chevy Tahoe SUV, at approx. 12:30 a.m. 

    Officers with the Boise Police SOU (SWAT) team used a 37 mm launcher to simultaneously deploy wooden batons and tear gas into the suspects SUV. The wooden batons break the car windows, allowing the tear gas to enter the passenger compartment. 

    When the tear gas was deployed, the suspect quickly accelerated. Officers had laid down spike strips on the interstate ahead of the suspect vehicle. The suspect drove over the spike strips and continued on, however tire damage forced the vehicle to slow. That allowed officers to use a PIT maneuver to stop the suspect vehicle. Pit stands for Pursuit Intervention Technique, a controlled move Boise Police train extensively for, by which one car pursuing another can force the pursued vehicle to abruptly turn sideways, forcing the driver to come to a stop.

    Aggravated Assault: Immediately after the suspect vehicle stopped, Devaney pointed the weapon toward approaching officers (Agg. Assault charge). The suspect appeared to accidentally drop the weapon and began to reach down for it. Officers were very near to the suspect vehicle at this time and the suspect made the decision to surrender.

    Inspecting the weapon after the suspect's arrest, the weapon was found to be a BB gun made to look like a real handgun.

    Pursuits outside Boise City: It's very unusual for Boise Police to continue a pursuit outside Boise City. Officers are trained to continually evaluate conditions including traffic, suspect driving patterns, and the seriousness of the crime, in deciding whether to continue a criminal pursuit. Local police agencies often cooperate and may take over as the lead agency in the pursuit as it enters their jurisdiction.

    In this case, Boise Police supervisors were in constant communication with other agencies and were in the process of turning over the pursuit to Elmore and Mountain Home authorities when the suspect stopped.

    Again, Boise Police appreciate the cooperation and assistance of Idaho State Police, the Ada and Elmore County Sheriff's Offices, Mountain Home Police, and the Idaho Transportation Department in keeping citizens and officers safe during this incident.