Boise Police Department
News Release

William L. Bones
Chief of Police

Contact: BPD Media Relations Office


Monday, July 17, 2006

Stabbing Follow

Stabbing Follow

3:30 p.m. - Boise Police Detectives say two suspects appear to be involved in a stabbing that occurred in a downtown bar early Sunday morning.

Detectives spoke with the victim this afternoon. The victim remains hospitalized with wounds that at this time, do not appear life threatening. The victim, a 22 year old airman from Mountain Home AFB is able to recall the details of what led to the attack and provide officers with a suspect description.

The victim tells detectives he tried to break up a physical fight between two women in the Loft bar, 622 W. Idaho Street at approx. 1:30 a.m. Sunday. He says as he tried to break up the fight, one man grabbed him and punched him in the face. A second man then attacked him by stabbing him in the stomach. The victim says he then went to find a friend and go seek help. The suspects disappeared into the crowd.

    Officers at the scene say two medics from Mountain Home Air Force Base were in the area when the attack happened and were very helpful in assisting the victim until other emergency responders arrived. (Sorry, I do not have the names of the medics. It did not appear that the medics knew the victim personally).

To the victim, the first suspect appeared to be a Hispanic male, early 20's, neatly dressed, some facial hair, 5' 10", 180 lbs.

The suspect who actually stabbed the victim appeared to be a Hispanic male, early 20's, shaved or bald head beneath a white ball cap, wearing a white shirt, 5' 10", 220 - 225 lbs.

As police arrived, the bar owners requested officers clear patrons out of the bar. Officers ordered bystanders away from bar and the immediate area as detectives tried to interview witnesses. The large crowd took quite some time to disburse. Two people were arrested for charges including fighting and resisting arrest in separate incidents outside the bar. As officers were making one arrest, 10 - 12 people did not clear the area after being ordered to do so and officers had to use pepper spray to make the area safe for responders.

    Because of the large crowd, detectives say there may be witnesses who have not been interviewed by police.

If anyone has any information on this incident they're urged to call police dispatch at 377-6790 and leave their name and number so officers can follow up.

Recent police statistics show violent crime in Boise's downtown dropped the first five months of this year compared to the same time last year. Those stats will be faxed out to media this afternoon immediately following this release.