The International Association of Chiefs of Police has released rankings of US Law Enforcement agencies with the most Twitter followers. For mid-size police agencies, those with 250 to 499 sworn officers, Boise Police is number four!
"Twitter connections mean a lot to us, and it's good to know that, judging by the number of followers, that connection means a lot to citizens as well," said Boise Chief of Police Michael Masterson.
"Twitter has become an important tool for our department. We share urgent and important public safety information, as well as safety related community events. And it's a two-way street. Citizens use Twitter to ask questions about police services, get clarification of state laws and city ordinances, and sometimes just enjoy interacting with the department about what's happening in our community. We think Twitter is a valuable additional service we can provide to people who value neighborhood safety."
The IACP survey categorizes law enforcement agencies by type and size. Boise PD currently is authorized for 312 sworn officers. As of this writing, Thursday, May 16, the department has 6,467 followers. The Boise Police "Twitter handle" is @BoisePD, https://twitter.com/BoisePD.
IACP Center for Social Media: Law Enforcement Agencies with the Most Twitter Followers:
Law Enforcement Agencies - 250 to 499 Sworn Officers
- Cambridge, Massachusetts, Police Department (13,078)
- Oklahoma County, Oklahoma, Sheriff's Office (10,665)
- Worcester, Massachusetts, Police Department (6,585)
- Boise, Idaho, Police Department (6,339)
- Scottsdale, Arizona, Police Department (6,234)
- Madison, Wisconsin, Police Department (5,760)
- Albany, New York, Police Department (4,897)
- Tuscaloosa, Alabama, Police Department (4,767)
- Anchorage, Alaska, Police Department (3,978)
- Salt Lake City, Utah, Police Department (3,712)