Boise, Dec. 17, 2012 - Boise Police were called to respond to two incidents at Boise schools this morning. All students and staff are safe.
Hillside Jr. High - The Boise PD School Resource Officer called Boise Firefighters to the school at 11:07 this morning after he witnessed an electrical box spark and smoke while workers were installing new lights. The officer says the school's alarm immediately went off and students and staff safely and orderly evacuated the school building. The students evacuation routes did not go through the smoky area and although some smoke did fill the northern hallway of the school, no students were exposed.
Firefighters arrived quickly and found a single electrical panel had sent out sparks. Firefighters were able to confirm there was no fire, only sparks, and smoke and heat damage were confined to the single electrical panel.
Power at the school was disrupted due to the incident. As of 12:45 p.m., Idaho Power, electricians and firefighters had safely restored power to much of the school except the northern most section of the building.
Grace Jordan Elementary: Boise Police took a man into custody outside the school's main entrance today at about 11;30 a.m. No one was hurt, no weapons were involved and there's no evidence of any threat to the school. The man is currently in the custody of Idaho State Health and Welfare.
What Happened: Officers were en route to a report of a possible suicidal subject at a home in south Boise when they learned the individual had left the home and was on his way to the nearby school where he reportedly is the parent of a student. Officers say the man briefly entered the school but quickly left and was immediately met by officers. He was not cooperative with officers and was handcuffed and detained. At this time, the man is in the custody of Idaho Health & Welfare.
The Boise School District is notifying parents of the above incidents.
Boise Police appreciate the quick response and cooperation of staff and students.