07-21-09 Fatal Fire; Elderly Man Found Deceased
Boise, July 21, 2009 - Boise Police and the Ada County Coroner have found that a 98 year old man found in a smokey, soot-filled home Sunday night, died as a result of medical problems associated with smoke inhalation.
According to the Ada County Coroner, the man has been identified as Harry P. Wilson, 98 of Juniper Street, Boise. The coroner says Mr. Wilson was likely deceased in the home for more than a day when he was found by a neighbor.
What Happened: Boise firefighters were called to the small, single family home on Juniper St. Sunday night at approx. 8:48 p.m. Firefighters found no active fire, but found Mr. Wilson deceased in a bathroom. Firefighters then alerted Boise Police.
When officers arrived they found the home was filled with soot and smelled strongly of smoke.
Fire investigators believe Mr. Wilson apparently used the kitchen oven for storage. Inside the oven, investigators found remnants of mail, other papers, and packaged food items. Investigators believe the oven was likely inadvertently turned on which ignited the combustible material inside. The fire was contained to the oven, but sent smoke and soot throughout the house.