06-11-09 Ironman 70.3 Boise Triathlon: Boise City Road Closures
Boise, June 11, 2009 – Boise City is honored and excited to host this weekend’s Ironman 70.3 Boise Triathlon Saturday, June 13th, 2009.
The Ironman competition takes participants on a lengthy course designed to showcase various Boise sites and neighborhoods. Maps and information about the event are available on the Ironman Boise Web site: http://www.ironmanboise.com
As a result of the race and supporting activities, Boise Police are working with Ironman race organizers, the Ada County Highway District, the Idaho Transportation Department and surrounding law enforcement agencies to prepare for several road closures during the event. Citizens not involved in the Ironman event are urged to prepare and take alternate routes during the following closures. Detour routes will be in place for the closures.
Boise City Road Closures:
· Capitol Blvd: between Front and Myrtle, closed Friday, June 12th at 6 p.m. – 2:00 a.m. Sunday, June 14th. The closure will be in place to allow for a staging area for the triathlon and also as a transition area between the legs of the race.
· Front Street: between Capitol and 9th, closed noon Saturday – 2:00 a.m. Sunday.
· Myrtle Street: between 9th and Capitol, closed 4:00 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturday.
· S. 8th Street: from Front St to the Greenbelt, closed Friday at 6 p.m. – 2:00 a.m. Sunday.
· Federal Way: traffic will be restricted both directions during the race. Westbound traffic will be closed from approx. 2:00 p.m. until approx. 8:00 p.m. Saturday.
· Gowen Rd.: closed between Federal Way to Pleasant Valley, approx. 2:00 p.m. until approx. 8:00 p.m. Saturday.
· Gowen Rd. exits off I-84: both east and westbound closed approx 1:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Saturday.
· Highway 21: closed at Federal Way eastbound, approx 2:20 p.m. – 4:20 p.m. Saturday.
· Boise Greenbelt: will be restricted between the Broadway bridge to Quinn’s Pond, 4:00 p.m. – approx 11:00 p.m. Saturday.
Local and state traffic managers are using reader boards on local highways and the Connector to alert motorists to the closures to try and avoid any inconvenience.
Again, for more on the race, road closures, and how to view this exciting event, log onto http://www.ironmanboise.com.
Related News Release from Idaho Transportation Department
Northbound lanes on Idaho 21 from Gowen Interchange to top of Lucky Peak Dam closed during Ironman competition
BOISE - Northbound lanes on Idaho 21 from the Gowen Interchange to the top of Lucky Peak Dam will be closed Saturday (June 13) from approximately 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. to accommodate Boise's Ironman Triathlon competition. The Idaho Transportation Department encourages motorists who use the popular recreational route to plan their activities accordingly and be aware of the following temporary traffic measures:
* Flaggers will be posted at both the Gowen Interchange and at the top of Lucky Peak Dam, as well as at the intersection of Idaho 21/Federal Way, and at the side street entrances in between.
* The eastbound and westbound off-ramps at the Gowen Interchange also will be closed, with motorists detoured to Broadway Avenue.
* Myrtle Street between 9th and Capital will be closed, with motorists detoured at 9th, south to Federal Way and back onto U.S. 20/26 at Broadway Avenue.
* Front Street will be closed between Capital and 9th, with motorists detoured at Capital north to Idaho Street and south on 9th back to Front Street.
Electronic signs are posted to warn motorists of the impending closure.
Emergency services will be allowed northbound on the highway if necessary.
Southbound lanes on Idaho 21 are not affected and will remain open.
Boise Police Department
PIO, Boise Fire Dept.