12-01-08 61 Holiday Weekend DUI Arrests
Boise, December 1st, 2008 - Boise Police and all the law enforcement agencies in Ada County stayed busy this Thanksgiving Holiday weekend taking DUI drivers off the streets. Arrests listed below include those made by Boise Police, Ada County Sheriff's Department, Garden City Police, Meridian Police, and the Idaho State Police between Wednesday, Nov. 26th and Sunday, Nov. 30th:
- 61 arrests for Driving While Intoxicated.
- 31 of those arrests made by Boise Police.
- Ten of those arrests were for 2nd DUI offenses.
- Three were Felony arrests (two or more convictions in the past five years).
Boise Police have designated DUI enforcement teams who have specialized training in recognition, arrest, and prosecution of drunk drivers. These teams work throughout the year, and will be working at full staff through the holiday season to help remove dangerous intoxicated drivers from the road.
"Drunk driving is something none of us want to see, especially as families gather for the holidays," said Lt. Tony Plott of the Boise Police Department Patrol Division. "Officers focus on traffic safety enforcement all year and alcohol just seems to go along with a lot of holiday celebrations. We want people to enjoy themselves, but remember to celebrate responsibly."
Boise Police Recommend You:
- Be responsible, don't risk an arrest for drinking and driving.
- If you plan to drink, choose a designated driver.
- Take mass transit, a taxicab, or ask a sober friend to drive you home.
- Spend the night, or get a hotel room near where the activity is held.
- Report impaired drivers to law enforcement call 911.
- Always buckle up its your best defense against an impaired driver.
- Serve non-alcohol refreshments at your holiday gathering.
According to MADD, national statistics show 40% of those killed in auto accident are involved in alcohol related crashes.