05-29-08 Ironman, Simplot Memorial - Traffic, Parking Info
Boise, May 29, 2008 - Thousands of Boiseans and visitors are expected in Downtown Boise this weekend for two special and important events; the memorial service for Mr. J. R. Simplot, and the first Ironman competition ever to be held in Boise.
Boise Police have been working closely with organizers of each event. Both the Simplot family and Ironman organizers have been very cooperative in helping develop plans to smoothly accommodate each event.
Thanks to the Simplot family, all parking garages in the downtown area Sunday will be open and free to the public, a courtesy from the family for those attending either the Memorial for J.R. Simplot or the Ironman competition. Not only is this a generous gesture from the Simplot family, Boise Police traffic officers say it will also alleviate any congestion that may have occurred at either the entrances or the exits to the parking garages. As people arrive downtown, they will find the gates to the public parking garages open. Motorists may simply proceed in and park.
"We think we're very prepared to handle the events," said Sgt. Kyle Christensen, Boise Police Special Events coordinators and supervisor of the BPD Motors Unit. "We have special event teams including numerous officers on duty through the weekend trained in managing traffic, and in managing and assisting large crowds of people. Our goal is to make these events safe and smooth for everyone."
Motorists should be aware of the following road closures due to the Ironman competition:
Friday thru Sunday:
- Capitol Blvd. between Myrtle and Front closed from 6:00 p.m. Friday., May 30th to approx. 9:00 p.m. Sunday, June 1st.
- Myrtle closed from 9th to Capitol starting at 6:00 a.m. to approx 4:00 p.m.
- Capitol Blvd from Vista (at the Depot) to Myrtle closed from 9:00 a.m. to approx 1:00 p.m.
- River St between 9th & Capitol closed from 7:00 a.m. to approx 4:00 p.m.
- All streets inside BoDo will be closed all day Sunday beginning at 6:00 a.m.
Motorists headed downtown are advised to:
- Follow directions on reader boards set up on the Connector on Sunday that will guide guests to parking for the Simplot Memorial.
- Follow directions of the officers on foot, bikes, motorcycles, as well as patrol cars directing traffic and assisting citizens toward parking.
- With the cooperation of the CCDC, all downtown parking garages will be open Sunday at 6:30 a.m., providing approx. 1,000 parking spaces. The only garage that will not be open for general public parking is at Myrtle & Capitol inside BoDo (near the Hampton Inn). This garage is designated for Ironman volunteers.
- Aprox 4,000 - 4,500 surface parking spots will be available for free parking throughout the downtown area. Motorists are reminded not to block driveways or alley ways, to follow signage and not block stop signs, intersections or fire hydrants.