04-07-08 Fatal Collision Investigation
Original Release: 8:54 a.m., Updated 1:15 p.m., Updated 2:45 p.m.
Boise, April 7, 2008 - Boise Police are investigating whether speed was a factor in a collision that killed a woman on Cole near Ustick this morning.
As officers investigated, Cole Rd. just north of Ustick was closed to traffic for about three hours, reopening at approx. 10:40 a.m.
The collision occurred approx. 7:40 a.m.
This afternoon, the Ada County Coroner identified the woman killed as Lois Hebert, 81 of Boise.
The collision is still under investigation, but here's what officers believe happened:
- A Boise woman in her 70's or 80's pulled out of W. Court Ave into traffic on Cole Rd. She was hit broadside by a vehicle traveling northbound on Cole Rd.
- The driver of that vehicle was a teen male, also from Boise. Officers are investigating whether this vehicle was traveling at excessive speed at the time of the collision.
- Both vehicles were Honda Civics.
- Both drivers were transported to the hospital.
- The teen appeared to have non-life threatening injuries.
- Boise Police were notified by medical personnel at 8:50 a.m. that the elderly female had died of her injuries.
- No citations have been issued at this time.
- Boise Police appreciate the patience of motorists in dealing with the temporary road closure, and thoughts go out to the victims and their families.